Center for Meat Production and Processing
The Center for Advancement of Meat Production and Processing (CAMPP) provides education in animal and meat science for university students, the community and the allied industries. CAMPP is designed as a link between producers, retailers and consumers on science, education and commerce in animal and meat products. In addition CAMPP conducts applied research in animal science and related areas to benefit the local and national industry and creates a collaborative partnership with SOWELA Technical and Community College. The Center supports the following activities:
- provide training for students in all areas of meat harvest, processing, and preparation;
- provide training for individuals who wish to produce a meat product for sale to the public;
- provide education about relevant food safety laws for handling and processing meat products;
- provide a link between producers, university personnel, food manufacturers and retailers
- provide information for locally grown agricultural products; and
- facilitate economic development
The Center enhances the University’s mission for applied research relevant to the region, enhances its educational mission, supports the objective to partner with SOWELA Technical and Community College, and advances its role in establishing meaningful links with the professionals and industries vital to the area’s economy. Southwest Louisiana has an established presence of agriculture related industries and the area continues to support and expand agriculture based industries.
For inquires contact the Center at 337-588-5008 or the Department of Agricultural Sciences at 337-475-5690.