Student Innovation Center
- "The Innovation Lab creates a more constructive and stimulating environment that encourages innovation. This promotes faster idea production and helps an individual concentrate on communicating an idea."
- "I have learned how to improve an idea to make it better and meaningfully unique""My Innovation classes have taught me how to think in different ways and go beyond traditional brainstorming.""The Innovation program at McNeese provides access to tools that guide different patterns of thought. This approach is significant in guiding me in a renewed and fresh approach to thinking.""I have learned how to think quickly and efficiently to create and refine innovative ideas which will make me more marketable to future employers.""I have learned to create meaningfully unique ideas.""The Innovation Lab promotes the exchange of ideas to create more well-rounded students.""I have improved my critical thinking skills while learning how to design and advertise products and services in my Innovation classes."The Student Innovation Center's vision is to inspire meaningful creativity, encourage student exploration of new frontiers, and stimulate economic development. The Student Innovation Center is located in three rooms on the ground floor of the SEED Center and is comprised of the Innovation Classroom, Innovation Lab, and Student Business Incubation Studio (BIS)."No other Innovation Center exactly like the one here at McNeese exists at any other university in Louisiana."
The Student Innovation Center coursework and activities change the way students think, create ideas, collaborate, and explore new concepts. Through coaching, mentoring, iPads and other Apple technology, gaming and app development, idea creation tools, and a relaxed environment, students are able to:
- collaborate with students from other disciplines
- create and refine ideas
- pioneer invention
- prove and communicate a concept
- conduct patent searching, sales forecasting, data mining
- network with peers and local companies
- receive faculty and peer mentoring
- create working prototypes
(Click to enlarge)
The Innovation Laboratory (iLab) is available to students enrolled in the Innovation courses as well as student business incubation studio tenants as a place that features technology to enhance creativity and bring ideas into reality. The iLab is a custom-built ecosystem with non-linear writable wall space, interactive technology, communication devices, a prototyping center, and idea creation and commercialization tools designed to pioneer student invention through interdisciplinary collaboration.
(Click to enlarge)
The Student Business Incubation Studio's (BIS) mission is to support and facilitate the development of sustainable student businesses. There are many opportunities for student businesses that emerge from the university’s six academic colleges. However, there has not been an established infrastructure to encourage or support this type of endeavor at McNeese. Through new programs and activities, McNeese is leading an effort to create an environment that supports innovation and entrepreneurship. The incubation studio provides a systematic approach to creativity and gives students the tools they need to create and refine an idea then translate it into an opportunity.
The Studio has assigned space for students to operate businesses once certain admission criteria have been met. Using compact, freestanding and side-reversible furniture that connects in a variety of configurations the student incubator easily accommodates changing student requirements. A small meeting room with boardroom style furniture allows students to interface with prospective customers.
(Click to enlarge)
Contact: Nikos Kiritsis, Dean
College of Engineering
Phone: 337-475-5857Contact: Janet Woolman, Executive Director
Office of Economic Development
Office: SEED Center 160
Please contact the Innovation Center for 3D printing and 3D milling rate structures.